Re: Why is help so hard to find?

On 15.01.2011 21:57, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Mike Bird
>
> Hi,
>
> | insserv is also irreversible, and if you restore /etc from
> | a backup without undocumented magic, insserv will destroy /etc
> | again.  That in my book seriously limits its compatibility.
> |
> | For servers which may only be rebooted once a year, a second
> | saved in boot time is not worth the hassle, or even the mere
> | risk of hassle, due to actual or potential damage from insserv.
>
> While I have no love for insserv, if you think the whole point of
> dependency based boot (be it insserv, upstart, systemd) is boot speed, I
> think you're mistaken.  It's a part of the goal, but much more important
> is actually correctness.  Getting the dependencies between init scripts
> correct is sometimes hard.

Completely agreed. The focus of dependency based boot is correctness.
The old system with static start/stop priorities was a pain to maintain and
actually had many bugs which were effectively impossible to change, because
changing the priority of *one* package can lead to a domino effect of required
changes to a *lot* of packages. With the dependency based system only a single
package needs to be fixed.

And to re-iterate what has already been said: if you do find scenarios where the
ordering is incorrect, please *do* file bugs. Such bugs are valuable.
Fixing incorrect orderings is actually quite simple now.

Please also follow the instructions on [1] and tag those bugs appropriately.

Michael

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot
universe are pointed away from Earth?