Re: Why is help so hard to find?

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> While I have no love for insserv, if you think the whole point of
> dependency based boot (be it insserv, upstart, systemd) is boot speed, I
> think you're mistaken.  It's a part of the goal, but much more important
> is actually correctness.  Getting the dependencies between init scripts
> correct is sometimes hard.

Amen.

I'm in favor of dependency-based boot despite not caring about boot speed
much at all.  I like dependency-based boot because, as a system
administrator, I can edit an init script, add a dependency on something
that I want to run first for my own reasons, and reconfigure the boot
sequence, and all the right things happen, including fiddling with the
granularity of the numbering if necessary.  Under the old system where all
the sequence numbers were defaults created by the package and were often
annoyingly clustered, this was significantly harder to do.