Re: Two groups of users, one distro in the middle

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Joey Hess wrote:

> chromium the browser conflicted with chromium the game and won

As the person who did the renaming of that in Debian and upstream; it
was a no-brainer, there was no winning or losing. The game was always
"Chromium B.S.U.", the sf.net project was chromium-bsu and it was just
a bug that the upstream tarball wasn't named chromium-bsu.

On the other side of a similar coin, the epiphany browser has way more
users than the epiphany game, but it "lost".

There is no one way to deal with this, we should only deal with this
on a case-by-case basis and use a number of strategies. Complain
*before* overly generically named projects enter Debian. Name our
source packages the same as our binary packages and use prefixes (like
firmware-, fonts-, printer-driver-, r-cran-, python-) on our binary
packages to reduce the chance of conflicts. In the event of conflicts
encourage our upstreams to rename and or work it out between them. If
they are willing, great, if not, add Conflicts to the Debian packages
and be done with it. Forcing the creation of a pair of
incompatibilities between Debian and upstreams doesn't help anyone.

I definitely agree with your point that the costs are Debian's only,
the upstreams will continue to not care or just deride Debian or our
users whenever they come complaining to them with a problem that we
created.

--
bye,
pabs