Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

In data Sunday 13 November 2011 15:59:12, Josselin Mouette ha scritto:
> Le dimanche 13 novembre 2011 à 15:39 +0100, Salvo Tomaselli a écrit :
> > > $HOME is not really nice but it could work. I have a tmp dir under my
> > > home directry and some script to clean up at every log on.
> >
> > $HOME seems like a very bad idea to me. At least if used by default...
>
> On the contrary, it is a good default.

I take your word, since i can't see any example.

> > Many universities (and i guess other places too) keep the homes on a file
> > server and the rest locally.
>
> It is a bad idea to do that on workstations, because network homes will
> completely lock your computer on every network outage.

How often does an ethernet switch break? Not so often. And since normally labs
in uni are not THAT important, their setup usually doesn't take into account
unlikely events such as the network being down (and a local home would not
solve the problem since the login would have to be remote in any case).

And i really fail to see how can that be bad. I would like to see you trying
to use the same computer all the time because your data is locally stored just
on that one...

--
Salvo Tomaselli