Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:16:55PM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Bastien ROUCARIES:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently debian put /tmp under tmpfs.
>
> My /tmp does not have 50% the size of my RAM.
>
> In my /etc/default/rcS:
> RAMRUN=yex
> RAMLOCK=yes
>
> in /etc/fstab:
> tmpfs /tmp tmpfs noatime 0 0
>
> results in df -h on a 3GB RAM machine:

> tmpfs                 5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /lib/init/rw
> tmpfs                 301M  5.6M  295M   2% /run
> tmpfs                 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
> tmpfs                 602M   20M  582M   4% /tmp
> tmpfs                 602M     0  602M   0% /run/shm
>
> Shouldn't /tmp be much larger? Which is the right package to report this as
> bug?

The initscripts defaults for /tmp are hardcoded in /lib/init/tmpfs.sh,
and are used when not specified in /etc/default/tmpfs.  If you don't
have RAMTMP=yes in /etc/default/rcS, and the rootfs isn't readonly,
then these settings will not be used (see /etc/init.d/mountkernfs).
An entry in /etc/fstab will override these entries, but you haven't
specified any size limits, therefore you'll use the initscripts
defaults should you have RAMTMP=yes or a readonly rootfs.

The 50% limit is not used by initscripts, where a lower 20% limit is
used.  This is so that the combined total of all the tmpfs filesystems
does not exceed 100% and allow users to DoS the machine.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh