Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:29:14PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Roger Leigh
>
> Hi,
>
> somewhat of a tangent, so sorry for hijacking the thread:
>
> | Currently, the size limits for /tmp and other temporary filesystems
> | are set in /etc/default/tmpfs.
>
> Can we please stop doing things like that?  It makes things harder for
> alternative init systems that sysvinit hides this in a random file in
> /etc/default rather than just putting it into fstab.
>
> The same goes for RAMTMP, RAMRUN and whatnot.
>
> (Yes, this means we need to handle /etc/fstab better from a maintainer
> script when defaults change.  Maybe have /etc/fstab.d. ;-)

I may have given an incomplete picture here.  While we set the defaults
there, any entry in /etc/fstab will override those defaults.  So it is
already the case that the /etc/fstab entries could be used by any
init system.  I would quite like for these to be created for new
installations by the debian-installer, if the d-i folks could do that.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh