Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 11:22 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 06:46:26PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> > Yves-Alexis Perez, 2011-10-18 18:35:04 +0200 :
> > > I'm not even sure network-manager is needed on the desktop install,
> > > but eh.
> >
> > $ LANG=C aptitude why network-manager
> > i   gnome-core            Depends network-manager-gnome (>= 0.8.999)
> > i A network-manager-gnome Depends network-manager (>= 0.9)
>
> And since network-manager disallows even basic networking above "a single
> interface with DHCP", this makes the gnome-core metapackage useless.

This is simply nonsense.  NM allows multiple interfaces, static
addressing, static routes, IPv4 and IPv6, and it does all this using the
proper kernel interfaces.

> I'm not talking about router setups.  Try a regular desktop with IPv6 that
> runs virtual machines (VirtualBox, lxc) and has usb networking[1] enabled so
> I can copy things to/from the phone ten times faster than over wifi.  You
> can't have any of this with n-m.

Is 'USB networking' something other than a USB-attached Ethernet
adapter?  Does it not work with Network Manager?

Virtual machine networking works just fine for me with virt-manager and
network-manager.

> Also, http://bugs.debian.org/542095 -- this came up already before and after
> a brief flamewar has been promptly fixed.  Yet since a few days ago the hard
> dependency on n-m is back.

The FAQ says it doesn't support: PPP, PPPoE, Mobile Broadband, VPNs, or
controlling two interfaces at the same time (I think that means it only
brings one *up* at a time - out of one wired and one wireless).

Based on the web site, it doesn't appear to have a GUI for configuring
encryption; you have to edit text files.  Which is fine for you and me,
but not what I would call user-friendly.

Quite why GNOME should have this inferior alternative, I don't know.  If
you want to make your own custom desktop then fine, but don't demand
that a desktop metapackage should support it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
73.46% of all statistics are made up.