Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 06:46:26PM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez, 2011-10-18 18:35:04 +0200 :
> > I'm not even sure network-manager is needed on the desktop install,
> > but eh.
>
> $ LANG=C aptitude why network-manager
> i   gnome-core            Depends network-manager-gnome (>= 0.8.999)
> i A network-manager-gnome Depends network-manager (>= 0.9)

And since network-manager disallows even basic networking above "a single
interface with DHCP", this makes the gnome-core metapackage useless.

I'm not talking about router setups.  Try a regular desktop with IPv6 that
runs virtual machines (VirtualBox, lxc) and has usb networking[1] enabled so
I can copy things to/from the phone ten times faster than over wifi.  You
can't have any of this with n-m.

Also, http://bugs.debian.org/542095 -- this came up already before and after
a brief flamewar has been promptly fixed.  Yet since a few days ago the hard
dependency on n-m is back.

[1]. Many thanks to new udev which makes the usb0 interface work out of the
box, including hotplugging.

--
1KB		// Yo momma uses IPv4!