Re: RFC: usb-modeswitch 1.2.0 release embedding jimtcl

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Drop usb-modeswitch completely from the default desktop install?

network-manager recommends modemmanager recommends usb-modeswitch.

network-manager wants modemmanager to handle "mobile network modems".
modemmanager wants usb-modeswitch because most "mobile network modems" need
"modeswitching". Without usb-modeswitch installed, those devices are just
seen as "USB Mass Storage", often readonly with Windows installers on them
(aka "brick").

The presence of usb-modeswitch in the default desktop installs (of Ubuntu
and Debian fwiw) is not really my call, but I think it is justified: having
those "mobile network modems" work out-of-the-box is at least "nice to
have". Think for example about users that have no other internet connection
than trough such a mobile network modem.