DEP-5 for Upstream

Hi,

I've read from time to time that DEP-5 should also work for upstream. Since
SPDX looks to complicated to have it stored in the upstream repos, I wanted to
use the more simpler, but still extreme useful DEP-5 in a license file. Is it
ok to use DEP-5 for a LICENSE file and how should it be changed? For example
the "On Debian systems, the full text of the GNU General Public..." part
sounds wrong for an upstream version.

Btw. when is the next debian-policy release that should include DEP-5.. and
therefore provide a good url for the VERSIONED_FORMAT_URL?

Thanks