Re: New package doesn't fix the problem in the old version

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:26:03PM BST, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> As I had problems of understanding this first let me recap the
> situation:
>
> git-stuff before 5-1 created a buggy file when getting installed that
> is still causing problems when git-stuff 7-1 is installed.
>
> So it's not so much a bug in 7-1 but 7-1 not tidy up the mess left by
> earlier versions.

That's correct.

> As git-stuff was never released, those earlier buggy versions were
> not released either, so only people installing unstable or testing
> are effected.
>
> For not too serious stuff in unstable it is usually widely accepted
> that people sometimes might have to clean things up themselves.
> (Any cleaning code means the package is bigger for everyone and
> any fix could go wrong and introduce new bugs).

I've been using unstable exclusively for nearly 10 years.
Most if not all packages I reported bugs for DO fix the issues caused
by earlier versions, otherwise no one would use unstable if expected to
fix everything by hand.
I don't mind packages being broken, that's the reason why I use sid - to
help develop Debian, find and report bugs, etc.

> I'm not sure what the consensus for packages that were in testing
> is (or if there was a consensus at all). I guess it mostly depends
> on the time it was in testing and how complicated the fix is.
>
> The bug was only in testing for either for 50 days or for 25 days,
> so it might depend how complex the fix is.

It shouldn't matter that it's been in testing for so long, the bug's in
unstable, and should be fixed there, even if doesn't reach testing in a
long time.
Both the bug and a fix are trivial - it's simply an entry in a cron job
file - the links I've attached have all the relevant information.

Regards,
--
Raf