New package doesn't fix the problem in the old version

Hi all,

Recently I filed a bug report against git-stuff[0] which itself been
closed with the explanation that it's a duplicate of an earlier bug[1]
which itself has been closed by the maintainer claiming it had been
fixed in version 5-1.

While the new package indeed does not contain the bug itself when
installed as a new package on a system which hadn't had it before,
it does not fix the bug if installed on a system with the older version.

As you can read in the first link, maintainer's not interested in
including the fix for older versions.

Widely available link[2] reads:

Debian bug reports should be closed when the problem is fixed. Problems in
packages can only be considered fixed once a package that includes the
bug fix enters the Debian archive.

The way I read it is: "the new version has to introduce the fix for
older ones". You shouldn't need to remove older version and installing
the new one after or even editing any files yourself if the new version
allegedly fixes the issue.

Since the new version doesn't override the file in question it cannot
possibly treated as a fix.

Unless I'm missing something?

[2] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#closing

Regards,