Re: Maintainers, porters, and burden of porting

On 31/08/11 at 12:03 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Andreas Barth, le Wed 31 Aug 2011 11:35:59 +0200, a écrit :
> > I know people who put kbsd on edge firewalls because it's way easier
> > for a standard linux / debian admin.
>
> We are considering this in our ISP, as well.

Come on, Samuel. You are writing that as if you worked for a large ISP.

I suspect that the ISP you are talking about is Aquilenet
(http://www.aquilenet.fr/). For those following at home, it's a 'Do it
yourself ISP', made by people interested in experimenting in building
their own ISP. It's a spinoff of another ISP, FDN (http://www.fdn.fr/).
I also suspect that like our own spinoff ISP of FDN here, called LDN
(http://ldn-fai.net/), Aquilenet has less than 10 DSL subscribers (we
have one, soon two!).

So, it's a really interesting project, but not really a proof of
widespread kfreebsd usage in high-demand production environments like
you seem to imply ;)

Lucas