Re: Maintainers, porters, and burden of porting

On 08/31/2011 07:34 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I've always wondered what was the point of having some architectures
> part of stable releases as official architectures. Sure, they are very
> useful as experimental architectures, and very fun to work on, but it's
> unlikely that people will use them on production machines because the
> hardware is too old & slow, or some key piece of software is too
> unstable.

That is not necessarily true, there are a lot of people who need to work
with old, probably sponsored hardware. Also there are a lot of embedded
systems which run Debian or derivates of Debian. So looking at the list
of architectures, the only one I could imagine to get rid of at some
point would be sparc, maybe powerpc and ia64.

 GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F