Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 21:07 +0200, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> schrieb:
> > --=-=-=
> >
> > OoO En cette  matin=C3=A9e ensoleill=C3=A9e du mardi 26  juillet 2011, vers=
> >  09:28,
> > Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> disait=C2=A0:

> >> - images for cloud infrastructures (AMI -- Amazon Machine Image)
> >
> > I  was  about to  ask  the  same. Those  images  seem  very popular  for
> > Ubuntu. Maybe we are missing something by not providing them. I remember
> > that those  images can be used with  Eucalyptus as well (no  need to use
> > Amazon).
>
> The process is detailed here:
> http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/2007-08-29/GettingStartedGuide/creating-an-image.html
>
> I have no experience with Amazon EC2. It says "All AMIs are loaded from Amazon S3 storage.".
> Does this mean Debian would need to rent Amazon storage space, which would be
> made accessible to the world by granting access rights or similarly?

I understood it to mean that as a user wanting to deploy an AMI I would
have to first upload it to my s3 account and then reference it from
there to create VM images.

Optionally as a convenience to users a provider of AMI images such as
Debian could upload a publically accessible image and provide references
to it, but I don't see that we would be obliged to do so. However if the
overall cost is low or a sponsor can be found then I think we should try
to do this though, it seems to be common practice.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

-- I have seen the FUN --