Re: Providing official virtualisation images of Debian

On 07/28/2011 12:07 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> (No idea if the code
> actually supports it or not.)

it does.

> Having to hunt for this information is annoying (but seems
> typical for live-build documentation)

lacking manpower.. you know.. so we try to focus making the most used
features be properly documented first, anything else later.

>, so I'll just ask: is
> virtual-hdd a RAW disk image, with partitions and boot loaders
> and the root filesystem, and can I dd it to a hard disk or
> USB drive and boot a real computer off of it?

yes.

> If so, then live-build (now?) does about what vmdebootstrap
> does, except more, and in a more complicated fashion.

exactly. i told you this when you asked about it when you were looking
into it, and also after you've come up with vmdebootstrap.

> However, I wish the complexity
> wouldn't extend to finding out anything about live-build, including
> how to use it.

we're working on that, the current git version does a lot of
simplifications all over the place. once the documentation has been
synchronised, uploads to unstable will follow.. (sometime soon after
having returned proberly from debconf that is).

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net