Re: DEP-5 Copyright Question

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 07:01:03PM -0500, Elías Alejandro wrote:
> >  Mechanical
> > have
> > probably
> > > >
> > > yes, would probably... but I think *transformed* image holder is upstream
> > > author so copyright belong to him or I'm wrong...

> > That depends what the transformation *is*.  You would need to explain how
> > it's been transformed for anyone here to give an educated opinion.

> Well, it seems upstream-author catch this image and then *transformed* as
> a .pzl file (puzzle image file) all of this for create jigsaw game.  Into
> upstream source ONLY there are these puzzle images and he mentions about
> its copyright/licenses, but there aren't jpeg,png...  (source files).

Right, that's more or less what I thought it would be.  It is unlikely that
the transformation from a jpg to a "puzzle image file" includes any creative
contribution; if this is an algorithmic transformation, then I believe
*only* copyright interest in the .pzl file is from the copyright holder of
the original image.

If you believe that there is a creative element to the way the .pzl file is
being made, then the correct copyright holder would be *both* the copyright
holder of the original image *and* the software author who has made the
change to the file.