Re: DEP-5 Copyright Question

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:11:50PM -0500, Elías Alejandro wrote:
> Dear all,
> I've just read this thread. What do you think about this [1]

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/07/msg00427.html

debian/copyright should list the names of the actual copyright holders of
the work.  debian-devel is not a great resource for helping you figure out
who those copyright holders are, but if the upstream author has already told
you who the copyright holder is, you should list that.

You mention that the upstream author *transformed* the image.  Mechanical
transformations (such as compilation of source code) do not normally have
copyright associated with them, so the copyright of cat.pzl would probably
be the same as for cat.jpg.

> Add:
> - Previous Debian release include copyright image owner.
> - Image license requires link to web site source as a condition.

This last part sounds potentially non-free.  If this is software that you're
planning to include in Debian main, please submit the license to
debian-legal@lists.debian.org for public review of its terms.