Re: Multiarch and D-Bus

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 at 10:54:12 +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> We used to have the ARM old-ABI architecture using mixed-endianness, but
> we don't have this architecture anymore (replaced by armel).

D-Bus interop for doubles was always broken on ARM old-ABI, then, and nobody
noticed :-(

The current D-Bus Specification only has two possible endianness flags,
'l' and 'B'; adding proper support for mixed-endianness would be an
incompatible change, unfortunately. I suspect architectures not supported
by Debian are too obscure to worry about, though.

> While the float and doubles are going to be transfered correctly for all
> Debian architectures from the endianness point of view, architectures
> will interpret some special values differently depending on the
> architecture. For example depending on the architecture, a qNaN and sNaN
> values can be swapped.

Thanks, I'll bring this up upstream, although I suspect the response will be
"don't send NaN, then". We don't have any special handling for NaN or other
unusual values at the moment.