Re: Multiarch and D-Bus

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 at 09:39:54 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Before we start to work on some packages, I’d like to ask if someone has
> checked whether D-Bus is multiarch-safe. Said otherwise, is it possible
> to use a D-Bus interface over another architecture?

D-Bus is machine-word-size-neutral (all types have a known size in bits) so
that's fine. Foreign-endian messages are always *meant* to have worked, but
nobody tested that, so it was broken until recently (CVE-2011-2200). Fixed
now, though.

If a particular D-Bus API bypasses the D-Bus type system and sends
native-endian or native-word-size structs as a byte array, then nothing
in D-Bus will save you from that, but that would be a silly thing
to do, and I'm not aware of any API that does so.

(Coincidentally, I've just uploaded a Multi-Arch: same version of libdbus
to unstable.)

Regards,