Re: Multiarch in Debian unstable

On 29/06/2011 09:53, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 28.06.2011, 23:22 +0100 schrieb Steve Langasek:
>> I agree it would be nice, but this seems to map to the (long unsolved)
>> problem of conditional depends - where you want A to pull in B only if C is
>> also installed.  If you solve that, you've got the NSS module question
>> solved as well.
>
> true. And there are so many more applications of this – for all packages
> that I have installed and that have language-specific extra package,
> always install (and remove) those for $LANG and $LANG2; for all
> {TeX,haskell,C library} packages, always install (and remove) the
> corresponding doc package; for all Haskell packages always install the
> corresponding profiling data package; for all library packages always
> install the corresponding debugging package... but I digress.

The "problem" is your examples is that, contrary to the nss modules,
it is not a conditional depends but more a conditional recommends, a
conditional suggests or even a sysadmin preference. If we want to
handle all these (useful) cases, the solution must be carefully
studied. And only package meta-data will not be enough when the
sysadmin preferences must be taken into account.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87