Re: Multiarch in Debian unstable

* Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [110627 13:00]:
>   http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation
>
> If you have any questions about the multiarchification of libraries, please
> don't hesitate to ask on debian-devel@lists.debian.org.

Is there anything for nss plugins yet? As plugins for libc one needs to
make sure that if it is installed, it is installed for all installed libcs.
With bi-arch/multilib one can get there by just having it compiled for all
possible variants. Is there any way to not break nss modules with
multiarch?

> Multiarch is a significant departure from the historical directory layout,

It is not really new, it was common in commercial unices. A pity one can
no longer make fun of them.

> A number of upstream build
> systems rely on being able to locate libraries and headers on the filesystem
> at build time, not just using the system compiler's built-in search path.

Please feel free to relay them my "I told you so". Thinking your build
system would know where the files are and that duplicating the code the
preprocessor and linker already have, has been a bad idea in the past
and is still a bad idea now.

	Bernhard R. Link