Re: Multiarch in Debian unstable

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 03:19:27PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [110628 00:36]:
> > > Is there anything for nss plugins yet? As plugins for libc one needs to
> > > make sure that if it is installed, it is installed for all installed libcs.
> > > With bi-arch/multilib one can get there by just having it compiled for all
> > > possible variants. Is there any way to not break nss modules with
> > > multiarch?

> > If you care about the nss module being available for all of the
> > architectures you're running, you simply go through the same process to
> > convert the nss package to multiarch and install the package for each
> > architecture.

> Please note that this "if" does not make sense. NSS modules used are a
> global setting and every libc using program needs them or name services
> will not be available.

There are plenty of programs for which NSS is not interesting.  Most apps
only need the hosts database, and that's only if they're networked apps.

> > No special handling has been proposed for nss modules beyond
> > that - though this is already a substantial improvement over the status quo,
> > where about half our nss modules have biarch versions available and the
> > other half don't.

> The nss modules without support currently mostly do so because they pull
> in some other libraries (which usually also opens another can of worms
> anyway).

The following NSS modules are not available in a biarch configuration today:

libnss_lwres.so.2
libnss_mysql.so.2
libnss_pgsql.so.2
libnss_sss.so.2
libnss_winbind.so.2
libnss_wins.so.2
libnss_db-2.2.3.so
libnss_db.so.2
libnss_gw_name.so.2
libnss_rainbow.so.2

The only nss modules outside of eglibc that *are* available in biarch today
are nss_ldap, nss_mdns*, nss_myhostname, and nss_extrausers.

> For those modules that have support right now, multiarch will mean every
> single user has to remember that every time something will pull in a new
> architecture they also have to install the nss module for that
> architecture. That is quite a regression to the current status quo.

libnss-myhostname and libnss-extrausers ship the biarch versions of the
module in the same package.  libnss_mdns builds a separate lib32nss-mdns
biarch package, and biarch libnss_ldap is only available in ia32-libs.  So
this is FUD.