Re: earliest supported kernel is 2.6.32 now

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:
> > There is also a cost to running old versions of packages to match the
> > kernel that you are compelled to use.
> >
> > EG if you have a RHEL5 system running as a Xen Dom0 it's probably not
> > going to be a desired upgrade option to use Debian/Squeeze.  As RHEL6
> > doesn't support Xen Dom0 and RHEL5 doesn't support a Squeeze kernel for
> > the DomU that leaves no option for a recent Xen kernel with RHEL as
> > Dom0.
>
> You are booting Squeeze using the RHEL5 2.6.18 kernels supplied in /boot
> or something like that?

Yes, RHEL5 DomU kernel.

> In general there is no requirement to reuse the dom0 kernel as your domU
> kernel, although I appreciate that some hosting providers may add that
> sort of requirement (or a similar requirement to use one of a blessed
> set of kernels).

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

The above URL describes the requirements for kernels.  A pvops Xen Linux
kernel (EG the one from Squeeze) requires at least Xen 4.0.  RHEL5 and CentOS5
have version 3.1.2 of the Xen kernel and thus won't boot a Squeeze kernel.

It may be possible to run a Xen 4.0 kernel with a RHEL5 Dom0 kernel and user-
space, but that would break the Red Hat support contract and confuse the
support people at the DC.

> If you administer dom0 though you can usually use the actual Squeeze
> kernel even for a RHEL5 based dom0. For example by using p[yv]grub, or
> alien to install the .deb as a .rpm or even just by extracting the
> vmlinuz file from the .deb and dropping it in /usr/local/.

I've tried that and it didn't recognise the kernel.  Nothing worked with a
Squeeze kernel without getting a Squeeze Xen kernel.

If you have it working then please tell us the exact versions of the Xen,
RHEL, and Debian kernels in question as well as the architecture it was
running on.