Re: earliest supported kernel is 2.6.32 now

On Sat, 14 May 2011, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> Backward-compatibility has a cost, sometimes substantial.
>
> I don't think packages in testing/unstable should be expected to support
> any kernel version older than that in stable.  It's the same same rule we
> apply to any other dependency.

There is also a cost to running old versions of packages to match the kernel
that you are compelled to use.

EG if you have a RHEL5 system running as a Xen Dom0 it's probably not going to
be a desired upgrade option to use Debian/Squeeze.  As RHEL6 doesn't support
Xen Dom0 and RHEL5 doesn't support a Squeeze kernel for the DomU that leaves
no option for a recent Xen kernel with RHEL as Dom0.  I'm sure that I'm not
the only person who's running a system with Squeeze DomUs that have a Lenny
udev to deal with this.