Re: earliest supported kernel is 2.6.32 now

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 21:14 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > Backward-compatibility has a cost, sometimes substantial.
> >
> > I don't think packages in testing/unstable should be expected to support
> > any kernel version older than that in stable.  It's the same same rule we
> > apply to any other dependency.
>
> There is also a cost to running old versions of packages to match the kernel
> that you are compelled to use.
>
> EG if you have a RHEL5 system running as a Xen Dom0 it's probably not going to
> be a desired upgrade option to use Debian/Squeeze.  As RHEL6 doesn't support
> Xen Dom0 and RHEL5 doesn't support a Squeeze kernel for the DomU that leaves
> no option for a recent Xen kernel with RHEL as Dom0.

You are booting Squeeze using the RHEL5 2.6.18 kernels supplied in /boot
or something like that?

>                                                      I'm sure that I'm not
> the only person who's running a system with Squeeze DomUs that have a Lenny
> udev to deal with this.

In general there is no requirement to reuse the dom0 kernel as your domU
kernel, although I appreciate that some hosting providers may add that
sort of requirement (or a similar requirement to use one of a blessed
set of kernels).

If you administer dom0 though you can usually use the actual Squeeze
kernel even for a RHEL5 based dom0. For example by using p[yv]grub, or
alien to install the .deb as a .rpm or even just by extracting the
vmlinuz file from the .deb and dropping it in /usr/local/.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Suffocation - Torn Into Enthrallment

(Presuming for the sake of argument that it's even *possible* to design
better code in Perl than in C.  :-)
		-- Larry Wall on core code vs. module code design