* Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [110430 20:51]:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > Actually, it worked quite well for both volatile and backports to
> > start as a non-official service. As well as building packages in
> > non-free. And lots of other stuff which was implemented.
> >
> > Why shouldn't it work for rolling.d.n?
>
> 1/ The current discussion is mainly about not freezing testing. For the
> wheezy freeze I could setup rolling.debian.net with a britney migrating
> stuff from unstable. And I could ask developers to upload new upstream
> versions to unstable.

Why don't you just not freeze rolling.d.n?

Or do you want to override the current release team and force them to
not freeze testing? If the second, you should make clear that you want
to overrule a decision by the delegates.

> 2/ The discussion is also about better supporting testing using t-p-u more
> extensively to bring important fixes (or important new upstream versions)
> that are blocked in unstable. It would be unreasonable to ask Debian
> developers to support testing and rolling.debian.net in parallel.

Well, they could just ... use t-p-u for that. No need to discuss, just
do it.

> 3/ rolling.debian.net would only be interesting to evaluate the few
> suggestions I made concerning the migration rules that we use (and which I
> explicitly said that they should not be considered in the current
> discussion… but that never works :)). But then I can run a britney and
> collect statistics without setting up rolling.debian.net for public
> consumption.

No. It could also continue to run a migration from unstable during the
freeze phases. If it works, good.

> For all those reasons, I believe the only sane way to go forward is to
> discuss with the release team to identify what needs to happen so that
> not freezing testing can become a serious possibility.

Oh, you discuss with the release team? In that case, it might make
sense to send them a mail instead of hoping that someone points out
the discussion to them. At least, that would be the normal polite way
to do things.

Andi