On 04/30/2011 03:47 PM, Arno Töll wrote:

On 30.04.2011 15:24, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
On 04/30/2011 03:16 PM, Arno Töll wrote:
Perhaps that's a not a particular fair demand. See, crucial for
Raphaels idea as I read it is "official" support to users using a
rolling distribution. For both, user support and bug fixing of
course.

In this particular case, the "official" bit won't change anything
for developers. It's only a buzz word to attract more users, IMHO.

But an important one, since the whole rolling concept is based on the
fact to attract users.

They can do it. Let me recall you that Backports was not official until
recently and they proven to the project that it was very useful and needed.
Then, it got integrated officially into Debian and was advertised as such.
"rolling" can follow the same route to start as well.

It will use packages from unstable, as testing does right now. So,
if a bug is found in a package provided by "rolling", it's very
likely to be found in sid as well.

Right, maybe I should have been more precise. Read it as: Encourage
maintainers to fix (important) bugs in a (more) timely manner (if
possible). I admit this is the most important objection most of you
seem to have, opposing the idea.

I don't care much about the name, etc… I think that advertising testing
as ready to users, while we don't have an installer for it is the big
problem. The second problem is the "frozen" (temporary) suite. Some
assume that "frozen" is part of "rolling". Some others argue that
"rolling" is just about advertising about a new name for testing.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/