Re: limits for package name and version (MBF alert: ... .deb filenames)

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 04:07:11PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
[...]
> Then, you use UTC date+time, that's two digits for the
> best-practice leading of "0.", plus 13 digits for YYYYMMDDTHHMM,
> which is quite precise enough most of the time.  Add two more for
> seconds, and it is almost always precise enough to identify the
> head commit in a branch
[...]

Or use seconds since the epoch (which is what I do) to get the same
precision in only 10 decimal digits, though arguably less
human-readable. For that matter, converting epoch seconds to
hexidecimal gets it down to 8 characters while still sorting
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);
MUD(kinrui@katarsis.mudpy.org:6669); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl);
ICQ(114362511); YAHOO(crawlingchaoslabs); AIM(dreadazathoth); }