Re: limits for package name and version (MBF alert: ... .deb filenames)

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 18:31 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
[...]
> === version, strings longer than 30 (unique ones) ===
> 0.9.15+post20100705+gitb3aa806-2
> 0.0.0+git20091215.9ec1da8a-2+b2
> 1.0.0~alpha3~git20090817.r1.349dba6-2
> 1:2.5.0~alpha4+svn20091009-1+b2
> 2.1.14+2.6.32.13-201005151340-1
> 1:2.2cvs20100105-true-dfsg-5+b1
> 0.9.8+hg20101101.b35a000870cc-1
> 0.5.10~alpha0+git201005030944-2
> 1.1.1+ooo-build3.0.0.9+r14588-9
> 1.2.0~pre3+snap20071004+dfsg-3+b1
> 3.0~a2+hg1075.9a478044c65c~dfsg1-1
>
> Clearly, all of these are able to wrap name within 30 chars.
[...]

I would like to see policy forbid the use of commit hashes in versions.
They aren't ordered, and the information about exactly which commit the
snapshot was can be included in the changelog.

Mercurial revision numbers should not be used either as they are not
consistent between repositories (they really were a stupid idea in a
distributed VCS).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings