Re: Openstack Compute nova, Cactus release, Squeeze built available in our private repo

2011/4/18 Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr>:
> As for the fact that you had to release it with a schedule date, I
> *guessed* it myself. Only, saying it explicitly would have helped
> communication.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.

>> "most" being the operative word. You've proposed a bunch of changes,
>> all of them in the same branch.
> Can't you just pull each individual patches that you feel ok with?  Is
> it simply not technically possible with bzr?

Short answer: no. Longer answer: Of course it's possible to extract
individual patches and apply them elsewhere, but it's tedious, manual
and throws away history. We bzr users care deeply about history :)

> Or is it that with bzr, you can only do a big merge of a given branch?

That's the common workflow.

> So, in the future, I should do one branch per proposed merge, for each
> individual topic, right? That's really not convenient,

It's really not very complicated. "bzr branch trunk some-branch-name",
hack, "bzr push lp:~soren/nova/some-branch-name". Done.

> but I can do that if it is a bzr requirement, so that we can work
> faster this way...

That would be great, thanks.

>> Also, even though I asked you not to, you went and rebased your
>> branch, so I had to start over with my review. That cost me quite a
>> bit of time.
> I did it, because I thought it would *ease* your work, with each
> individual patch being one a single commit, so that you would
> cherry-pick the one that you would feel ok with.
>
> Now, I do understand that doesn't fit the work-flow of bzr, and that I
> have to deal with so many small branches. Right?

Branches are by far the most convenient way to provide patches, yes.
That's how we handle everything else in Openstack.

> I do now understand what you want/need. Many tiny little branches.
> I'll do that in the future. I hope you can bare with that (first and
> last) big one.

Yeah, I think we're pretty close on that one now.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer    http://www.ubuntu.com/