Openstack Compute nova, Cactus release, Squeeze built available in our private repo

Hi,

This is a short email to let everyone know about the current status of
the package.

Cactus, the first serious release of Openstack Compute - nova, has been
released yesterday. I have done loads of patches to have the package to
fit in Debian, comply with the policy, and be lintian clean. The
resulting packages are available here:

deb http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian openstack main
deb-src http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian openstack main

The only clean packages currently are the one from Nova. The rest of are
hacked (build) dependencies to be able to work with it, but I didn't
have time to look deeper in it so that they would be in acceptable shape
for Debian.

The above are Squeeze builds, not yet SID, and also contains few
(hacked) backports (I didn't even care changing the release name for
these yet, because I just cared having things to work *for the moment*,
until I have more time to do things cleanly).

I will build packages for SID soon, but I would need to have libvirt 0.9
in SID, and that one is currently only available in Experimental. I take
the opportunity of this email to ask the current maintainer of Libvirt
(Laurent Leonard): when do you think upstream will release 0.9, so that
it can be uploaded in SID?

Again, if other DDs want to participate to this packaging effort, you'd
be welcome. Especially, it seems that the current version of euca tools
are broken (uec-publish-tarball got me stuck on my work for a week), and
would need debugging.

As for the resulting packages: it seems to run quite well. I was able to
run instances, connect to them over SSH, etc., and it felt quite fast
and responsive.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)