Re: i386 ISO also installing kernel for AMD64 (Squeeze)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 02:38:03PM -0300, André Barone Rodrigues wrote:
> Dear sirs,
> I think there's something not entirelly clear to me and perhaps to some
> other people, because I couldn't find any solution to my problem.
>
> I have downloaded an i386 ISO for Squeeze (6.0.1a) and used the same media
> to perform installation on 2 different machines.
>  On the first one I got a perfect i686  and on the other an  AMD64  kernel.
> presumibly, my media is not mult-arch.

The second machine presumably has 4 GB or more memory, so the '686'
kernel is not suitable.  There should be a '686-bigmem' kernel on the
first DVD, but there isn't.  This is bug #622622
<http://bugs.debian.org/622622>.

You can install 'linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem' using the network and
then remove the 'linux-image-2.6-amd64' and 'linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64'
packages.

> One problem I have felt so far is about Virtualbox OSE, which brings a
> kernel problem while installing from Debian Packages.

Use the 'reportbug' command to report a bug on whichever package seems
to be at fault.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings