Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 13:34 +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> [110413 12:54]:
> > This strikes me as suboptimal, since one could use the disk space
> > allocated to /tmp as extra swap and then allocate a tmpfs of that size
> > to be mounted on /tmp with no effect other than allowing the system to
> > have access to more swap than it would have otherwise had (of course,
> > that's probably more than it needs, so instead you could just save some
> > disk space that would otherwise be left generally unused by overloading
> > the swap usage with /tmp usage.
> >
> > Therefore, in the multi-partition setup, I think we should also default
> > to having /tmp on tmpfs.
>
> This has both the disadvantage of a system then having swap (given the
> big memory sizes one currently has and the big difference between RAM
> and disk access times, having swap is often quite a disadvantage)
[...]

Under Linux, swap space is a requirement to defragment RAM.  (This may
change in the future.)  Without swap space, the kernel eventually
becomes unable to make large physically-contiguous allocations.  Don't
turn it off.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings