Re: Default size limits for /run (/var/run) and /run/lock (/var/lock)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:51:09 +0200, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> Am 12.04.2011 13:38, schrieb Roger Leigh:
>
> > this for /var/lock (/run/lock), which can be mounted as a separate
> > tmpfs on /run/lock if RAMLOCK is set in /etc/defaults/rcS.  We could
> > also do the same for /dev/shm (/run/shm) and /tmp (/run/tmp) as well.
> > In the case of /tmp this would not be the default except when root is
> > read-only.
>
> I don't think symlinking /tmp to /run would be a good idea, as one could fill up
> /tmp (accidentaly)  pretty quick.
> If we want to make / ro, then a separate tmpfs for /tmp looks like a better idea
> to me.

While were about this, for installs where the users select multiple
partitions we currently create a separate /tmp partition.

This strikes me as suboptimal, since one could use the disk space
allocated to /tmp as extra swap and then allocate a tmpfs of that size
to be mounted on /tmp with no effect other than allowing the system to
have access to more swap than it would have otherwise had (of course,
that's probably more than it needs, so instead you could just save some
disk space that would otherwise be left generally unused by overloading
the swap usage with /tmp usage.

Therefore, in the multi-partition setup, I think we should also default
to having /tmp on tmpfs.

Cheers, Phil.