Re: alpha and hppa removal from unstable/experimental

On su, 2011-04-10 at 20:06 +0200, Witold Baryluk wrote:
> I today say that alpha disappered from unstable buildd.

I am a mostly dis-interested outsider for both the alpha and hppa
architectures. I write this to be supportive of the ftpmasters.

It seems to me that the alpha porters have had quite a lot of time to
bring the architecture up to the level of quality that is expected from
Debian ports in the main archive.

alpha was dropped from being a squeeze release architecture in October,
2009.[0] That's 17 months ago. The problem of lack of porter manpower
have affected alpha for much longer than that, of course. Having a
couple of new people promise to do better is not enough, in my opinion:
the best of intentions and the most heroic efforts of a very small
number of people is not enough, there needs to be enough people involved
to keep it as a viable port.

        [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2009/10/msg00003.html

Moving alpha out from the main archive does not need to be the end of
Debian on alpha, I'm sure. And if the port can show a sustained effort
for a sufficiently long time, I'm equally sure the project will happily
welcome it back into the main archive for the wheezy release. But that
sustained effort should come first, in my humble opinion.

(Although, now that I think about it, it's probably hard for alpha to be
considered a viable architecture, unless there is new hardware being
produced and sold.)

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/