Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?

Hi Lars!

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 16:41:14 +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ke, 2011-04-06 at 16:37 +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> Obviously, doing these changes earlier rather than later in the release
>> cycle would be good, if they are to be done at all.
>
> OK, so assuming anything is to be done about this at all, here's what I
> suggest:
>
>       * add a lintian test that detects scripts that are needlessly
>         #!/bin/bash according to checkbashisms; the test can't be
>         extremely reliable, but would probably be good enough
>       * get project consensus on whether bash should remain essential or
>         not (so far my reading of this thread indicates it is
>         inconclusive); if there is no consensus, stop here

Given how far you have already gone with the analysis, I would stop here
in no case, especially considering...

>       * do another mass bug filing on all packages that contain bash
>         scripts that checkbashisms does not think contain any bashisms

...there is no point using #!/bin/bash when the script is
POSIX-compliant, since the default #!/bin/sh on Debian (dash) is faster
than bash.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca