Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?

On ke, 2011-04-06 at 16:37 +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Obviously, doing these changes earlier rather than later in the release
> cycle would be good, if they are to be done at all.

OK, so assuming anything is to be done about this at all, here's what I
suggest:

      * add a lintian test that detects scripts that are needlessly
        #!/bin/bash according to checkbashisms; the test can't be
        extremely reliable, but would probably be good enough
      * get project consensus on whether bash should remain essential or
        not (so far my reading of this thread indicates it is
        inconclusive); if there is no consensus, stop here
      * add lintian test for packages that contain bash scripts but
        don't declare a dependency on bash
      * inform the project of bash losing essentialness (mail to d-d-a)
      * do a mass bug filing on all packages that a) contain bash
        scripts that checkbashisms confirms have bashisms b) do not
        depend on bash
      * do another mass bug filing on all packages that contain bash
        scripts that checkbashisms does not think contain any bashisms
      * wait some months for package maintainers to fix their packages
      * NMU all packages that have not been fixed

Opinions? I assume it would be the release team's decision about bash
essentialness?

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/