Re: /run support for wheezy?

Hi Roger!

Please do not Cc: me, I read the list.

NB, this reply is maybe too late and useless, but I thought it was
better to do that anyway, at least to thank Roger for the time he spent.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:24:28 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 04:06:16PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:33:44 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> > I would also appreciate any testing, especially if you're using a
>> > nonstandard setup e.g. tmpfs on /var/run and/or /var/lock.
>>
>> Without having looked/tested your packages and being a bit naive, but
>> given that tmpfs for /var/run and /var/lock can be configured through
>> /etc/default/rcS, maybe it is more used than you think (and I would not
>> completely call it nonstandard), thus it requires a bit more caution.
>
> Not entirely sure what you mean here.  We detect and deal with this
> sort of setup automatically.  I said "nonstandard" because TTBOMK this
> feature is not widely used, and (I am given to understand) somewhat
> broken.

What is "broken"?  /var/run and /var/lock on tmpfs?  I have been using
them for quite a while now (at least four years) and everything is now
fine (obviously after various bugs about sub-directories not being
created by daemons were fixed).

And I actually think it is more "standard" than what you believe because
AFAIK it is the easiest way to avoid excessive writeouts to any disks,
especially on SSDs.  FWIW, I started using it long before I moved my
everyday sid to an SSD, also because there was an easy way to setup it,
i.e. through /etc/default/rcS (and I have also thought about /tmp, see
<http://bugs.debian.org/402828>).

> If you're using RAMRUN/RAMLOCK, then you'll get the same setup, but
> mounted under /run and /run/lock, with compatibility symlinks in place.

This is what I wanted to hear, thank you.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca