Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

Hello,

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:31:40 +0200
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:

> [About the general problem of documentation]
> The problem is to find the correct tools and the correct
> documentation. For instance, imagine the average user who wants for
> Ethernet (eth0), to do the following automatically (for a laptop):
>   1. use some fixed IP address if there's some peer 192.168.0.1
>      with some given MAC address;
>   2. otherwise, if an Ethernet cable is plugged in (and only in this
>      case), start a DHCP client;
>   3. make things still work after a suspend/resume.
> I now know how to do this. But I still wonder what documentation a
> user should read to achieve such a configuration. It is normal that a
> user may want to use his laptop from network to network and things
> work without manual reconfiguration.

Of course, man guessnet. Just few lines.

mapping eth1
	script guessnet-ifupdown
	map default: dhcp

iface eth-home inet static
	test peer address 192.168.0.1 mac ...

iface dhcp inet dhcp

The last requirement is fulfilled by means of installing ifplugd.

--
WBR, Andrew