On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 02:16:30PM +0300, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:56:15 +0100
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Does this imply that "fixing" ifupdown to query the state(s) via
> > > netlink instead of relying on state files would solve most of the
> > > problems?
>
> > I expect so, but it would be a very big 'fix'.
>
> Well, ifupdown will still need state files, because they are used to
> store the certain configuration chosen for the given interface during
> ifup.

Why is that necessary?  So far as I can see, the purpose of the state
files is:
- Let ifup refuse to reapply a configuration (even if it failed to
  apply it in the first place)
- Allow ifdown to take shortcuts, which often don't work

They don't even provide the useful feature of copying the configuration
that was applied, in case it is subsequently changed or removed in
/etc/network/interfaces.

> Another thing is that they may be ignored when the interface
> isn't really 'up', as per kernel.
>
> What do you think?

I don't understand your point.

Ben.