On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> wrote:

> The main problem I see is that NM likes to take interfaces down when
> upgrading. This is a problem if upgrading remotely.

Probably using glib/gobject etc is a no-no for a package that needs to
be in base.

The main problem I see is that the design of NM is wrong™ and the
upstream maintainers do not see it that way.

The upgrading/restart issue was partially fixed, I read that wired
connections without authentication are not killed any more.

The design issue is that NM thinks it is the centre of the networking
universe instead of just part of it, with the kernel at the centre.
The netconf design was much better here.

NM does do a lot of things well though and I've been almost happy
using it the past few years.

The upgrading/restart issue is just a symptom of that problem, more include:

Changes made to the current network setup manually using
ip/route/ifconfig are not reflected in the UI.

Hardcoding policy like wired > wireless and killing my default route
when switching.

--
bye,
pabs