Re: "expected stable-updates but got squeeze-updates"

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 00:10 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 22:38 +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 20:45 +0000, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > > Using the following in sources.list:
> > > deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stable/updates main contrib
> > > non-free
> > > deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stable/updates main
> > > contrib non-free
> >
> > The above is not related to the warning below.  Compare the server names
> > and suite names between the two.
> Why not? It's the place where I set the suite name?!

Because security.debian.org is not debian-mirror.lrz.de.  The entries
above are for security.debian.org, whereas the error message you quoted
was for an entry containing debian-mirror.lrz.de; the entries for
security are not what's causing your error message.

> > It's not really either of those, but rather due to your sources.list
> > containing an entry for debian-mirror.lrz.de for the "stable-updates"
> > suite.  However, the suite is actually called "squeeze-updates", and
> > that's therefore what appears in the Release file.  Changing
> > sources.list to point at squeeze-updates instead should make the warning
> > go away.
> But then, why do we have those symlinks at all?
> And it's quite handy IMHO that one can just use stable and get the
> current stable suite.

It's also not universally agreed to be a good idea, as once a new stable
release occurs, your next "apt-get update" will suddenly pull in an
entirely new release's package lists, which isn't generally what you
want.

However, having "squeeze" in sources.list whilst the Release file
contains "stable" works okay, so I assume apt is managing the
translation internally in that case.  If it doesn't do so when the
Release file contains a codename then this is likely to become a more
general problem in future, given that ftp-master would like to move the
archive to being codename-based internally.

Regards,

Adam