Re: Meeting Minutes, FTPMaster meeting March 2011

Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> (29/03/2011):
> And as you have to test-build your packages anyway the only reason I
> see why you wouldn't be able to upload them is a very slow
> connection to the rest of the world.

One can test-build in her own, non-chroot environment, and still be
cautious about what changed in configure.ac (or similar); so building
in a chroot can be usually extra, fruitless work. (mesa or xorg-server
come to mind.)

And as far as I'm concerned, I just hate having to wait for
xorg-server to be built on say mips or sparc before asking for
xserver-xorg-dev to be installed on a porter machine to build my
drivers there, when I *know* they build (since I tested them on say
amd64, by tweaking the Architecture line).

Not to mention the fact DSA doesn't want to handle anything like
“experimental” chroots, so you can't get build dependencies from
experimental, at all.

Finally, requiring binary packages to be uploaded along source
packages doesn't stop people from uploading broken packages, which
basically lack a build dependency on say autoconf, automake, libtool,
pkg-config, cmake, python, whatever. It doesn't look like that “let's
require binary packages” filter is helping much. The BTS is full of
such FTBFS bug reports.

KiBi.