Re: Meeting Minutes, FTPMaster meeting March 2011

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 04:37 PM, Mark Hymers wrote:
> > The main decision which needs to be made is whether, as a project, we
> > want source only uploads or to throw away DD built non-all debs.
> > There's not entire agreement amongst the ftpmasters about this (I err on
> > the side of the source-only uploads to avoid making people waste time
> > and bandwidth but that's not the only opinion).  One objection to
> > source-only is the perception that people will throw untested things at
> > the buildds and see what sticks.  That strikes me as a social problem,
> > but as a project we probably want to think how to handle it.
>
> Due to the problem of uploading untested stuff, accidentally or not
> accidentally I'd suggest to require uploads of all binary packages
> together with the source and throw away the arch:any binary packages
> (after passing NEW if necessary).
> Also I'd be in favour of throwing away DD built arch:all debs as soon as
> soon as building them on the buildds is implemented.

Possibly archiving interesting metadata from the "discarded" binary debs,
and comparing it to the autobuilt ones, etc.  This stuff has been very
well dissected in debian-devel somewhat recently.

What needs to be said is that we CAN FORGET IT about punishing DDs for
being lazy and screwing up source-only uploads that don't even built.  It
is just not going to happen in practice, even to people who do it once a
week.  What would happen instead is a lot of aggravating business in
-private, and a major waste of time and good will across a sizeable
portion of the project.

So, we have to either accept source-only uploads with the knowledge that
some people will upload even more crap, or don't accept source-only
uploads at all.  There is no "punishment for the bad uploader" option,
anyone proposing that is just setting the project up for a lot of
aggravation IMO.

  Henrique Holschuh