Re: Needed input from Australian users and developers:; choosing timezones for Australia in D-I

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:28:18 +1100
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The timezone choice in D-I is supposed to be user-friendly and easy
> > to understand for the average citizen of the said country.
>
> FWIW: the existing Australian timezone choice in D-I seems fine from
> the point of view of the Australians I've seen do installs (including
> myself).

I'll agree with that - of all the parts of the installer that i've seen
people step through, timezones is one that they haven't needed help
with.

> > When it comes at Australia, the choice was, up to now:

[14 options]

> > That's indeed insane..:-). Hobart (Tasmania), Melbourne (Victoria),
> > Sydney (NSW) and Canberra (ACT) have the *exact* same time rules
> > (including DST).

There might be 14 options, but its always clear which one you want.
(the capital for your state/territory or a 'special' timezone). is
there a reason you feel its insane?

> > I currently propose to offer the following choices in D-I:
> >
> >  Victoria, ACT, NSW, Tasmania (Eastern Time, DST)
> >  Queensland (Eastern Time, no DST)
> >  South Australia (Central Time, DST)
> >  Northern Territory (Central Time, no DST)
> >  Western Australia (Western Time)
> >  Central Western Standard Time (Eucla)
> >  Lord Howe Island
> >
> > Do you guys think this would be understandable to the average
> > Australian?
>
> Yes. However, please ensure that no-one working on this gets the
> impression this reduction in options is to be relied on; it's at the
> whim of government that demonstrates frequent whimsy in adding as well
> as reducing options.

I was wondering - is the trimming to somehow benefit the d-i people, or
those installing debian?
I'm not sure the suggested system makes it any more obvious to people
then the existing one.

For most (all?) Australian states the capital is at least 50% of the
population [1]. People know which capital is theirs, and there is a
good chance they are in it.

[1] Adelaide has 90%+ of the states population within 50km of the cbd

> > An alternative was:

Please skip this alternative :)
kk

--