Re: Disable ZeroConf: how to ?

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 at 15:17:14 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > I have never in my life felt the need
> > to do anything provided by either gnome-user-share or telepathy-salut
>
> Note that until you configure gnome-user-share, only avahi is started;
> gnome-user-share itself is not.

The same for telepathy-salut, FWIW. (If Empathy starts up without any IM
accounts, it'll offer to make you a link-local IM account using Salut, but you
can always say no.)

> > When an user actually uses that "easy file sharing" or link-local instant
> > messaging, avahi could be started, but there's no reason to do that before.
>
> That might be possible using D-Bus activation. Feel free to get in touch
> with the avahi developers if you want to implement it.

Avahi also needs to be running to consume services advertised with zeroconf,
so if you use anything that browses for advertised services, it'd be activated
then too (for instance "Network -> Local Network" in Nautilus).

For instance, if you browse for others' shared files
("Network -> Local Network" in Nautilus) or printers, you're not making any
services available yourself, but you still need avahi-daemon running.

avahi-daemon also makes foo.local resolvable by others on your local network
segment, where foo is your hostname; I for one sometimes install avahi-daemon
just to have that side-effect, without any actual services advertised, because
the actual service I'm interested in is ssh on a well-known port.