Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

(Sorry for the duplicate, Bob; forgot to send to list first time.)

Quoth Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>, on 2011-03-02 17:00:19 -0700:
> Having daemons started automatically at installation time is a very
> nice feature of Debian IMNHO.

Is there any harder data on which behavior various proportions or
segments of the Debian user populace expect here?  I gather this is a
common opinion, but it's not mine.  I find the current Debian behavior
annoying (albeit within reason).  Whenever I install a new daemon I
often have to remember to pounce on [/etc/init.d/$foo_daemon stop]
immediately afterwards so that my machine isn't exposing some random
default configuration of foo_daemon for more than a few seconds before
I have a chance to change it.

> I rarely install something I don't want installed.

I mainly only install things that I want running, but I only want them
running once I've verified the configuration.  The default is often
not useful to me.

Examples where I insisted on manually configuring the daemon before
starting it again: Apache, ejabberd, Privoxy, sshd (slightly unusual
configuration), Exim (but it has Debconf questions which handle most
of it), Postfix (I don't remember how that went), dnsmasq, Postgrey,
Pound, radvd, I think LPRng.  (Some of these may have actually started
out disabled.)

Counterexamples: at, cron, Chrony, syslog, DenyHosts (sort of---I
reconfigured it but it wasn't in a critical way), HAL, udev, DBus,
MySQL, maybe smartd, portmap.  (Many of these are local system
services rather than major applications on their own.)

   ---> Drake Wilson