Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:26:56 +0100, Arthur de Jong
> <adejong@debian.org> wrote:
>>On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 21:44 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>>> Personally, I'd rather we didn't have them, as this is supposed to be
>>> controlled by the rcN.d links and if that interface is too hard for
>>> people we should fix that rather than invent multiple ways of disabling
>>> daemons, but the current mess is, well, a mess.
>>
>>I would also love to have a way to easily configure which daemons should
>>be started at boot time. I don't know whether switching to insserv made
>>things simpler in that regard though.

Isn't update-rc.d the way to configure the rc.d scripts? Or am I
old-fashioned.

My bits the /etc/default/scripts:
I would not use them to enable or disable deamons - only to "tune" the
init.d scripts behaviour. E.g. command line arguments), that must be given
at deamon-start and are not configurable in some /etc/mydeamon.conf.
See e.g. /etc/default/ntp.

Chris

--
Christian Pohl