Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 17:19 +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> >> So what *is* the proper UI?
> >
> > The sensible abstraction for this is 'service' - but it doesn't appear that
> > service has support for enable/disable yet :(
>
> Do other distro's use service for this?

actually i think chkconfig is more common than service for
enabling/disabling.

> What's the reason update-rc.d is limited to maintainer scripts?

well, for starters the interface sucks from a sysadmin point of view
compared to stuff like chkconfig/service.  i also think that there's (a
perhaps shrunken, haven't checked in a while) set of things that you
just can't do with update-rc.d, without having the changes lost the next
time the package is upgraded.  i mean, it's not even that great for
maintainer scripts, as evidenced by the total inconsistency for how
developers are managing enabling/disabling of their services.

imho i think we need to step back and re-think the entire way we're
currently handling init scripts, both from the packaging point of view
and from the end-user/admin point of view.  i think someone tried to
start something like this up long ago[1] but it never picked up steam.
maybe now that we have two new different init systems at the gates and
also people wanting to have continued support of "traditional"
sysv/file-rc, we should consider trying to revitalize that discussion?

	sean

[1] this would be the initscripts-ng alioth project